Calvin Seerveld (b. 1930 in New York), professor Emeritus in Aesthetics at the Institute for Christian Studies (ICS), Toronto, received an MA in English literature and classics from the University of Michigan in 1953. He then went on to study under D. H. Th. Vollenhoven at the Free University in Amsterdam before
Most of Calvin Seerveld's books can be obtained from Toronto Tuppence Press:
A bibliography of Seerveld's works from 1995-2008 compiled by Steve Bishop is available here.
Redemptive Art in Society
Cultural problems in Western Society
Art History Revisited
Cultural Education and History Writings
Biblical Studies and Wisdom of Living
Further details here: http://www.dordt.edu/publications/dordt_press/
- Christian faith for today. Vanguard (Jan/Feb 1972): 7-9.[pdf]
- God's gifts our
thank offering- an interview[pdf] ABC Radio Insight programeJuly 1987.
- Reading the Bible and understanding art [pdf] The gist of an illustrated lecture (2001).
- Reading the Bible like a grown-up child [pdf] Banner (June 1995); also in Comment (June 2006): 12-15.
- A Christian tin-can theory of man JASA 33 (1981): 74-81; also in In the Fields of the Lord.[pdf]
- Pain is a four-letter word[pdf] Reformed Worship No 72
- Philosophy as schooled memory Anakainosis 5 (1) (1982): 1-6; also in In the Fields of the Lord.[pdf]
- Reformational Christian philosophy and Christian college education [pdf]
IAPACHENewsletter 14 (1) (2002)
- Why should a Christian University exist? Kosin University Convocation (2000)
Art and art history
- The gift of artistry - God's clothing for human life [pdf]
- Creativity [pdf] Big Picture 1 (3) (Trinity 1999): 5-6, 31-32.
- Vollenhoven's legacy for art historiography. Philosophia Reformata 58(1983): 49-79. [4.8 MB pdf]
- Towards a cartographic methodology for art. J. Aesthetics and Art Criticism 39 (2) (1980): 143-154. [pdf]
- Prov 25: 11-15. (March/ April 1972): 5, 34.
- 'Will you be a joke to God?' (Prov 24) (Jan/ Feb 1973): 15, 30-31.
- 'Tomorrow is the gift of the Lord' Prov 27: 1-11(1973): 24-6.
- Prov 27. (Dec 1973): 30-31.
- 'Proverbs 27 again' (March/ April 1974): 24-5.
- 'Uncover wrong to heal things straight' (Prov 25:2-10) (May/ June 1974): 30-31.
- 'The evil of authoritarianism' (Prov 29) (Sept/Oct 1975).
- 'How God's word in Proverbs communicates' (May/ June 1975: 10-11).