Derek C. Schuurman is Professor of Computer Science, Calvin College, William Spoelhof teacher-scholar in residence chair and a Fellow in Technology, St. George's Centre for Biblical and Public Theology
He worked for several years in industry before spending time in academia. His interest in computers began in his early teens with his first computer, a Timex-Sinclair ZX-81. He is also interested in the bigger picture (metaphorically, not in the number-of-pixels sense) and the various issues related to faith and technology. He has taught computer science at both Redeemer University College and Dordt College prior to teaching computer science at Calvin College. He has participated in various service projects with computing in developing countries. He is author of the book Shaping a Digital World.
His own webpage is here.
He is on twitter @derekschuurman
Chapters in books
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Technology and the Biblical Story", Pro Rege, Vol. 46, No. 1, September, 2017, pp. 4-11.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Modern Devices and Ancient Disciplines", Faith Today, November/December 2017, pp. 39-41
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Approaches to Christian Education: From Elusive Towards a Larger and Deeper Approach", Pro Rege, Vol. 44, No. 3, March, 2016, pp. 14-20.
- Steven H. VanderLeest and Derek C. Schuurman, "A Christian Perspective on Artificial Intelligence: How Should Christians Think about Thinking Machines?", Proceedings of the 2015 Christian Engineering Conference (CEC), Seattle Pacific University, Seattle, WA, June 2015, pp. 91-107.
Derek C. Schuurman, "Introducing Open Source and the Raspberry Pi to Schools in Developing Nations", Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, Volume 67, Number 1, March 2015, pp. 50-53.
- Derek C. Schuurman, "Technology Has a Message", Christian Educators Journal, Volume 51, Number 3, February 2012, pp. 4-7. this article has since been translated into Portuguese under the title "Tecnologia tem uma Mensagem")
- Derek C. Schuurman and Arnold E. Sikkema, "Christian Engineering Education in Canada", 2011 Proceedings of the Christian Engineering Education Conference (CEEC), June 2011, pp. 167-175.
- D.C. Schuurman, "Forming a Christian View of Computer Technology", Journal of the Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences (ACMS), December 2007.